How do you test a Subaru coil pack?
Find the spark plug wire terminals and then plug your multimeter in two of them. Make sure that both terminals are pointing directly opposite of each other. The reading should be about 12,800 ohms, plus or minus 15%. If the reading is off, then the coil pack is bad and it needs to be replaced.
How do I know if my Subaru coil pack is bad?
Common Symptoms of a Faulty Coil Pack
- A rough idle.
- An unexplainably louder-than-usual engine.
- A noticeable lack of power.
- A significant drop in RPMs while accelerating for no apparent reason.
- A blinking or intermittently activating check engine light.
- An active gas warning light when the vehicle has plenty of gasoline.
How do I know when my coil pack needs changing?
Can ignition coils fail intermittently?
Intermittent ignition coil failures are tough to diagnose because ignition coil windings and internal insulation tend to be sensitive to engine heat. Like all circuits, heat increases primary and secondary circuit resistance and that both windings expand with heat.
What is the typical primary coil resistance specifications?
normal resistance values, ranges between 6,000 and 30,000 ohms. Dwell is the measurement of the time that: the primary ignition current is turned on, measured in degrees.
How do you check if a coil is good?
Here’s How To Diagnose and Test An Ignition Coil
- Plug the tester into the coil.
- Attach the ground wire.
- Plug in the coil connector.
- Adjust the spark gap to the correct measurement.
- Start the engine.
- If there’s spark, great, it works! If there’s no spark, it’s a bad coil.
How many ohms does ignition coil have?
The ohmic resistance of the coil is around 0.2–3.0 Ω on the primary side and around 5–20 kΩ on the secondary side. The winding ratio of primary to secondary winding is 1:100. The technical structure may vary depending on the ignition coil’s area of application.
How long do Subaru coil packs last?
Coil Pack Advantages Many coil packs don’t require service for up to 120,000 to 150,000 miles.
How can you tell if an ignition coil is weak?
What Are the Signs of a Faulty Ignition Coil?
- Loss of Power. This is one of the first symptoms of ignition coil failure.
- Check Engine Light On.
- Poor Fuel Economy.
- Misfiring Engine.
- Hard Starts and Stalling.
- Spluttering and Coughing Sounds.
- Jerking and Vibrating.