Why is my Excel spreadsheet locking up?
Sometimes it happens, however, that Excel freezes when it starts or suddenly stops responding when opening a file. Often the problem is not caused by Excel itself, but by additionally installed add-ins or macros or software installed afterwards. Virus scanners and Windows updates are also known sources of error.
How do you stop Excel from locking up?
Excel not responding, hangs, freezes or stops working
- Start Excel in safe mode.
- Install the latest updates.
- Check to make sure Excel is not in use by another process.
- Investigate possible issues with add-ins.
- Investigate Excel file details and contents.
- Check whether your file is being generated by a third party.
How do I unlock the page layout in Excel?
Unprotect an Excel worksheet
- Go to the worksheet you want to unprotect.
- Go to File > Info > Protect > Unprotect Sheet, or from the Review tab > Changes > Unprotect Sheet.
- If the sheet is protected with a password, then enter the password in the Unprotect Sheet dialog box and click OK.
How do I get my Excel spreadsheet back to normal?
Switch to full or normal screen view in Excel
- To switch to full screen view, on the View tab, in the Workbook Views group, click Full Screen.
- To return to normal screen view, right-click anywhere in the worksheet, and then click Close Full Screen.
What causes Excel not to respond?
Excel often freezes upon opening or it suddenly stops responding when you open a file. This issue is frequently caused by previously installed add-ins or macros and not by Excel itself. Antivirus software and Windows updates are other common causes of this error.
Why can’t I move page breaks in Excel?
Important: To enable dragging of page breaks to another location in a worksheet, make sure that the cell drag-and-drop feature is enabled. If this feature is not enabled, you may not be able to move any page breaks.
How do you fix page breaks in Excel?
Move a page break
- On the View menu, click Normal.
- Rest the pointer on the page break line until the pointer changes to a. , and then drag the page break line to a new location. Note: When you move an automatic page break, it changes to a manual page break. Manual page breaks are not adjusted automatically.
How do I change the default Page Layout in Excel?
For example, this is still the way to change the default view for new worksheets in Excel for Office 365….How to Make Page Layout the Default View in Excel 2010
- Open Excel.
- Click File.
- Choose Options.
- Select the General tab.
- Click Default view for new sheets, then choose Page Layout.
- Click OK.
What happens when Excel is not responding?
How do I remove a line break in Excel?
Place the cursor in the ‘Find what’ field and use the keyboard shortcut – Control + J (hold the Control key and press the J key). You may not see anything, but this puts the line break character in the ‘Find what’ field. In the replace field, enter a comma followed by a space character (, ) Click on Replace All.
Why won’t Excel let me move page breaks?
Why is Excel ignoring page breaks?
Note: The page breaks are ignored with the Scaling/Fit To options in Page Setup are used. To remove a page break: Place your cellpointer in the row beneath a horizontal page break or in the column to the right of a vertical page break. Choose Insert, Remove Page Break from the Excel menu.
Where is the Excel default template location?
To create the default workbook template or default worksheet template, select either the XLStart folder or the alternate startup folder. To find out the path of the startup folder, see Locate the XLStart folder. To create a custom workbook or worksheet template, make sure that the Templates folder is selected.
How do you change the page view in Excel?
Click the Page Layout tab on the Ribbon. Select the Orientation command, then choose either Portrait or Landscape from the drop-down menu. The page orientation of the workbook will be changed.
Where is the reset button in Excel?
How to apply a button to clear specific cells in Excel?
- Apply a button to clear specific cell contents with VBA code.
- Click Insert > Shapes > Rectangles to select the Rectangle shape, and then drag the mouse to draw a rectangle button in anywhere of the sheet as you need, see screenshot:
How do I reset an Excel cell?
How to reset last cell in Excel?
- Press Ctrl + End keys to find the last cell of the worksheet.
- Then press Ctrl key to select the range cells you do not want to be printed.
- Then click Home > Clear > Clear All.
- Save current workbook with clicking File (or Office Button) > Save.